From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stephen Landess
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 10:35 AM
To: ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: HTTPAPI concerns

(Long-time lurker, first time posting here...)

My client is a very large multinational company, and there are concerns by some about using open-source software such as FTPAPI, HTTPAPI, or Scott’s JDBC wrapper.

This company is in the process of converting from JDE World software (running on IBM i 7.1) to SAP on another platform, and we will need to be able to consume web services provided by the SAP side to do some integrations during the transition period.

Before my manager will approve the use of the HTTPAPI on the JDE side, I need to address some of those concerns.

1) Support?

I indicated that there is an active group of users who help support this program.

However, he was more concerned about what happens if we have a program failure which we cannot fix internally.

Yesterday I called Profound Logic sales and got a price quote for support.  They indicated that for our processor group (P30) that the price for support is $ 1,200.00 per year per LPAR.

I assume this means that if we sign up with them for support that any defects identified in HTTPAPIR4 will be fixed.

2) How widely is HTTPAPI used?

I was also asked how large is the user base for HTTPAPI.

Since HTTPAPI is limited to use on IBM i systems, there will obviously be a limited number of shops using it.  If this was a commercial package, the vendor would provide a list of references that could be checked.

Is there a list of companies where HTTPAPI is in use?

Best Regards,
Steve Landess
Austin, Texas