RE: Help consuming a REST webservice with HTTPAPI.

   Eureka!!! It works!!! I am now successfully consuming a REST Web
   Service in RPG!
   I would like to send a big thank-you to Mike Krebs, Scott Mildenberger,
   & Chris Hayden for all of their generous help and, of course, to Scott
   Klement for this fantastic tool.
   I'd like to share my code with everyone in the hope that it may help
   someone else, and/or if Scott felt like using it as an example. Here it
   is:
   H BNDDIR('HTTPAPI')
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---*
    * DSRTRAFDTA    : Fleet Locate consume Traffic Data REST service.
      *
    * Documentation : [1]https://api.us.spireon.com/doc/
        *
   *----------------------------------------------------------------------
   --*
    *
   D DSRTRAFDTA      PR                  extpgm('DSRTRAFDTA')
   D DSRTRAFDTA      PI
    *
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---*
    * Prototypes:
      *
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---*
     * Scott Klement's HTTPAPI prototype.
    /include qrpglesrc,HTTPAPI_H
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---*
    * Definitions:
     *
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---*
    *
   D userName...
   D                 S             50A
   D passWord...
   D                 S             50A
    *
   D limitEventsReturned...
   D                 S              4P 0
   D startAtTimeStamp...
   D                 S             13P 0
    *
   D rc...
   D                 S             10I 0
   D URL...
   D                 S            256A
   D debugLog...
   D                 S           1000A   varying
    *
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---*
    * Mainline:
      *
    *---------------------------------------------------------------------
   ---*
    *
    /free
        // Write a Debug log out to the IFS.
        debugLog = '/fleetLocate/restTest/debugLog.txt';
        http_debug(*on : debugLog);
        // Test sandbox credentials.
        userName = '********';
        password = '********';

        // Basic authentication.
        http_setAuth( HTTP_AUTH_BASIC
                    : %trim(userName)
                    : %trim(passWord));
        // Variable fields inserted into the URL.
        limitEventsReturned = 50;
        startAtTimeStamp = 1403114332938;
        // Build the URL. Note I added '.xml. at the end of the word
   'traffic' so
        // that it would return the data as XML. If you leave off the
   '.xml' the
        // service will return the data as JSON.
        URL = 'https://api.spireon.com/api/asset/traffic.xml'+
              '?limit='+
              %trim(%char(limitEventsReturned))+
              '&startAt='+
              %trim(%char(startAtTimestamp));
        // GET request.
        rc = http_url_get(URL : '/fleetLocate/restTest/trafficData.xml');
        // The End.
        *inlr = *on;
        return;
    /end-free
    *

   You would, of course, have to do the following for this to work on your
   machine.
   - Replace the '********' entered for Username and Password with actual
   credentials.
   - Replace '/fleetLocate/restTest/debugLog.txt' with the path where you
   want to store the debug log on your machine.
   - Replace ' /fleetLocate/restTest/trafficData.xml' with the path where
   you want to store the .xml document on your machine.
   I realise this is probably pretty simple stuff for most of you, but I
   also thought that you can't have too many examples, plus I really
   wanted to contribute something back to the group that has helped me so
   much.
   Have a great day!
   Paul Reid
   Application Developer III
   Erb Group of Companies | 290 Hamilton Road | New Hamburg, Ontario | N3A
   1A2
   Phone: 519.662.6133 ext. 2363
   Web: [2]http://www.erbgroup.com/