From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:08 AM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: FTP

Jim,

What do you mean by 'sftp'?

Normally when I see that name, it means the 'sftp' tool that's used in SSH communications.  This tool is NOT FTP AT ALL, but rather is using SSH to transfer files securely.  SSH is extremely different from FTP, but the 'sftp' program gives a user interface that's similar to what
people expect with command-line based FTP tools.   So it looks like FTP,
but under the covers is not FTP at all.

I have not had any desire to write an API for SSH, since the free one that IBM provides with the operating system works very well.

But, it occurs to me that you might actually mean FTP over SSL.
(Sometimes called 'ftps', which is easy to confuse with 'sftp'). FTP over SSL is indeed the FTP protocol.  And there was, at one time, a gentleman who contributed code to use FTPAPI with the SSL support in the
operating system.   However, there were some bugs in his implementation
that I felt made it unsuitable to inclusion in FTPAPI, so I did not include his changes in releases of FTPAPI.

I do not wish to fix the bugs myself, as I do not have access to an FTP over SSL server, and therefore cannot test the code. Also, I'm not certain that I want to support FTP over SSL, because I do not feel that it's well designed.  It's extremely difficult to make work through NAT gateways as well as some types of firewalls, and the support for this would be a real headache for me.  Especially since I have no use for it, myself.

My suggestion is to the the SSH suite of tools that comes with IBM i.
SSH (including 'sftp') is more secure than FTP over SSL.  It's much easier to get working, and it's included for free with the OS.

If you are not satisfied with the SSH suite that IBM provides, then you might consider a 3rd party package.  Linoma has some great commercial tools for this.  Or perhaps the Arpeggio software that Bryan listed.  (I have no experience with this...)

On 10/16/2013 4:11 PM, Jim Muehe wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have the FTPAPI -- works great
> I remember conversations in the past about making a SFTP version.
> Did one ever get made?
> Seems to vaguely remember entering the password via a script was one of the problems(maybe via a shell). But then I might be getting confused.
>
> Shot, I have Jscape (java base SFTP that can run on an iSeries) -- but
> I am not much of a java programmer (I can barely do "HI JIM") The
> interface I use for JScape was written by our web developer and it sucks -- functional for simple gets/puts but that's about it.  No error catching, no directory listings I am hoping(dreaming) that if no one has developed an SFTP that maybe someone might have developed a better interface to JScape -- like I said, I dream.
>

> Jim Muehe | Sr. Programmer Analyst | CHEFS® | An Affiliate of  Target
> Corporation® | 5070 Centennial Blvd. | Colorado Springs, CO 80919
> 719.272.2618 (P) | 719.272.2624 (F) | www.CHEFScatalog.com |
> www.Target.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and proprietary information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.