RE: Upgrading OS V5 to V7

Program conversion
There is no program conversion if you are upgrading from 6.1 to IBM i 7.1. If you are upgrading to IBM i
7.1 from IBM i V5R4 or earlier, read the Program conversion section in the IBM i Memo to Users for V6R1.

Program conversion
For V6R1, conversion is required for all programs created under previous releases that use the i5/OS
machine interface (MI). This conversion upgrades and refreshes programs to provide enhanced system
integrity, improved performance and new function, by taking advantage of many new operating system
and processor capabilities. For a program to be converted, its creation data must be available. Programs
created for V5R1 or later releases have creation data available for use during conversion. Creation data is
always available for use during conversion when a program and its associated modules were created for
V5R1 or later.
Preparing for these conversions of programs in libraries can have a significant effect on the amount of
planning time before the upgrade. After the upgrade, some conversions might have a significant
performance impact when program objects are not converted until accessing the program for the first
time.
Other types of conversions also will occur for V6R1, including Java programs in directories, spooled files,
and integrated file system names in file systems that are not case-sensitive.
IBM provides the Analyze Object Conversion (ANZOBJCVN) command for i5/OS V5R4 and V5R3 to
help you plan these conversions. This tool helps you identify potential conversion difficulties, if any, and
estimates the conversion times.
To begin preparing your systems for V6R1 conversions listed above, follow these directions:
1. Review Information APAR II14306 for the commands and function included with the conversion PTFs.
This information APAR is in the preventive service planning information about the Support for IBM
System i Web site. Click Technical Databases > Authorized Problem Analysis Reports (APARs).
2. Read the IBM Redpaper publication i5/OS Program Conversion: Getting ready for i5/OS V6R1,
REDP-4293, which you can obtain from the following Web site:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
The Redpaper also includes the PTF numbers to use for loading the ANZOBJCVN command.
For more information about program conversion, also see "Program conversion" on page 46, the
Installing, upgrading, or deleting i5/OS and related software information center topic, and the System i
Upgrade planning Web site:
http://www.ibm.com/systems/support/i/planning/upgrade/index.html