Re: expat encoding

   Hi Gerald,
   I'm confused.  If the "actual" CCSID is 819, why is the file marked as
   "Cp1252"?   Did you translate it from 1252 to 819?  These two encodings
   are very similar.  The difference is just a few control characters in
   819 that have been changed into text characters in 1252.  In a manner
   of speaking, you could say that 1252 is a superset of 819.  (Though,
   technically, it's not because you're losing the control characters --
   but never heard of anyone using these.)
   The other thing is... what do you mean by "actual"?    Does that mean
   you've gone through the contents of each byte in the file, and every
   code point directly corresponds to the proper glyph in the 819 code
   page?   Or that you wrote code that generated the file, and you know
   for a fact that the code will generate 819 code points?
   Or.. what are you saying?
   Also... I'm assuming you are using one of HTTPAPI's routines to parse
   this XML.  (If you are calling Expat directly, then this is off-topic
   for this mailing list.)   Can you be explicit about which HTTPAPI
   routine you are calling, and which parameters you are passing?   All of
   the routines have the ability to translate XML into other encodings for
   compatibility with Expat.
   -SK