RE: Creating Web services through IBMs Integrated Web Services Server

Med,
From the 'Application Servers' Tab of the 'IBM Web Administration for
i', select the 'Deploy New Service' and that will bring up the Wizard.
Really Simple to use.

See step 4 of this link:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/iws/quickstart_server.html

Thanks,

Tomas
-----Original Message-----
From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
janottar@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2012 12:03 PM
To: ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Creating Web services through IBMs Integrated Web Services
Server

I have studied Scott's paper 'Web Services for RPGers' with great
interest.

My first simple web service - type Hello World - was up an running and
tested  within 20 minutes just by following Scotts eminent step by step
instructions.
These instructions helped me not only to create the web service - but
also
the web service server to run it on - great...

BUT it might be that I missed out on something - I keep looking for a
button to ADD more web services to run on the same web services server.
Cannot find such an option - and I end up creating one new server (on a
separate port) pr RPG-program I want to turn into a web service
- That cannot be the IDEA ???
Can somone help me as to how i create MANY web services to run on the
same
web services server ??

The idea is to create hundreds of small webservices - for different
functions - in a development project  to enable front end developers
(with
no RPG-knowledge) to help us create a GUI version of our ERP-software.
(so far we have used CGIDEV2 for bits and pieces of web development -
but
on that platform we are not able to hire more  staff    -  but there are

lots of java based frontenders around.)

The first step is to check out different options - and the IDEA of many
small RPGs with  input/output parametes as a basis to create
webservices/WSDLs to serve java/frontend developers seemed like a good
one..
But mabe its not - Any Views  ???

An other option we are investigating is to continue using CGIDEV2, but
turn in the direction that the CGI server programs delivers JSON object
directly to the browser..
The front end developers then will have to work with html/javascript/js
framewoks/ajax/css  totally indepent  of  java-based  application server

as a  'midle layer'.
To us that seems as an easier approch - but we do not know  if that kind

of expertise is harder to find then java developers..

Our  company isn't that big - so we have to keep total costs in mind -
at
the same time as we NEED to modernize
and we do believe that the technique we end up with has to be meinstream

in the sence tha we should be able tu use front end developers with no
RPG
knowlege,
All the bussines logic skoud stay on the server/RPG-levels and should
only
be acessible to the front end through defined calls...

Anyone that has some ideas as to point us in the right direction ???

Forbedringer/nyheter fra Systema AS - klikk her

Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards
Jan Ottar Valderhaug
SYSTEMA AS
St.Halvardsgt. 33A , 0192 Oslo
Tel: +47 22660660 Direct: +47 22660654 Mob: +47 48052470 Fax: +47
22660661