From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:26 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Call to HTTP_PARSE ending in error

Hi Tom,

I just got your message -- thanks for the info.  I haven't had a chance to
try your code yet, but just glancing at it I saw a big problem.

The problem is in the Incoming subprocedure.  Here's what you have:

           if name = 'GetAllotmentListResult';
              RtnDataPtr = valuePtrds.valptr-2;
              RtnDataLen = valuePtrds.vallen;
           endif;

The problem is that valuePtrDS points to memory that's only valid while the
Incoming subprocedure is still active.  Once Incoming returns control back
to HTTPAPI, the memory pointed to by ValuePtrDS will be freed up and
potentially reused for something else.

But, you are saving that pointer and trying to use it later... Ouch!
This could cause unpredictable results!  Please treat the data pointed to by
this data structure as "read only" and "only valid while Incoming
is running".   If you wish to use the data later, please make your own
copy of it, rather that referencing the same pointer I gave you at a later
time.

Also, you are subtracting 2 from the valptr...   How could you possibly
know what's stored in the two bytes of memory that happen to be before
the data I'm sending you?!   Why would you try to access them?!

Worst of all, your ReplaceInBlock() procedure is actually _changing_ the
internal memory structures used by Expat.  I have no idea what that will do
-- but it certainly is dangerous!

Again, I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend that you make your own copy
of the data, so your program owns it and can control when it's freed, and
what it's used for, so that you don't affect other routines in the stack
when you change it.

If you are on IBM i 6.1 or higher, I recommend eliminating the pointer logic
completely, and using normal string manipulation.  The only reason pointers
were used here is that RPG couldn't support sizes larger than
65535 in V5R4 and earlier.  Using normal character strings would be a lot
safer.

-SK

On 5/22/2012 12:50 PM, Tom Thomson wrote:
> Hello Scott,
>
> I finally got the code for this program hacked enough to get all the local
file references out and believe it is in a form now that will compile in
your system.  I've attached a txt file of the code.  If you get a clean
compile you can call the program as: call JCM5 parm('pam132' 'map132').
Theses parms are a userid and password.  The web service utilized can be
accessed at the url,
http://api.netroomz.com.au/allotmentserviceextended.asmx?op=GetAllotmentList
.
> Parms there are: Callerid: big4central  Userid: pam132  Password: map132
>
> A little background on the project:  Netroomz is a company like Expedia.
Hotels can give Netroomz an allocation of rooms to sell and Netroomz
communicates information on the rooms they actually do sell via this web
service.  This program process the data from the web service and updates
local files to reflect availability changes.  Although I work for KOA
(Kampgrounds of America) we treat camping sites as hotel rooms and it is
working well for us.

> Scott, reproducing this error is a struggle.  Most of the time the program
runs just fine.  Occasionally it will fail with the error mentioned far
below and then an immediate rerun may complete successfully.  The error
happens at the call to "http_parse_xml_string".

> UserID and Password pairs that most frequently generate an error are:
(all lower case and, if running from the URL, the callerid is always
"big4central".

>   pam132		map132
>   157		c15747
>   239		b23924
>   pam478		map478
>   pam469		map469
>
> These pairs each represent different campgrounds.
>
> I'll do my best to find other campgrounds (userid and password pairs) that
consistently generate the error or, at least two or three times in
succession.