Questions about the HTTP Server and Keystore authority requirements for HTTPAPI

All,

Looking to make use of HTTPAPI...management is asking some questions
about the requirements, specifically the need for
--IBM HTTP server for iSeries (57xx-DG1)
--Granting ordinary users permission to run SSL applications

Taking these one at a time...

--IBM HTTP server for iSeries (57xx-DG1)
I believe this license program needs to be loaded, but I don't
actually have to have the HTTP (admin?) server running except as
needed to make changes to the certificate store via the digital
certificate manager..

Can anyone confirm?

--Granting ordinary users permission to run SSL applications
Management gets nervous when I ask them to change the security on an
IBM supplied object. :)
I don't understand why this wasn't *PUBLIC *USE to begin with...
Does anybody have any information or better yet links to IBM
documentation describing why this change is a "good" idea with little
or no risk?

As an alternative, I assume I could use adopted authority in my
HTTPAPI apps that need HTTPS; can anyone confirm?

Thanks!
Charles