FTPAPI connection reset

We are using FTPAPI to transfer files to a WebMethods Integration Server...

Once and a while, we'll see an exception thrown: "A connection with a
remote socket was reset by that socket"

It appears to occur after the data transfer completes, the file is
intact at the destination, when our RPG program calls the FTP_Quit
procedure.

Given that the file transfer takes 5+ min, I'm assuming the command
channel connection is being closed by the remote machine due to
inactivity...from what I'm been able to find about FTP in general,
this is not an unknown problem.

Has anybody run into this?

The question, assuming we can't ask the Webmethod guys to increase
their timeout, how can we handle this on our side?

My research has shown that at least a few FTP clients handle this by
using a "keep-alive"; periodically issuing a command such as SITE over
the command channel while the data transfer is going on.  I'm thinking
the FTPAPI put_block() procedure could be modified to do this...

Otherwise, I supposed we could just quietly swallow the error...as it
doesn't really matter.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Charles