Re: Buffer size?

Hello,

> Taking the very first tag as an example, it has a bunch of properties
> embededded into it, which are displayable on the value variable

Could you be a bit more specific?  "A bunch of properties" doesn't
really tell us anything at all.

> The total stream has a bunch of different named tags, all with
> potentially large strings of embedded properties such as this.

No idea what you're saying here. All XML documents have a bunch of
different named tags with 'properties' (attributes) in them.

> There may be a case for not needing a pointer if all of these
> elements are less than 65535, but I will need to research more to
> find out.

Yes, this is what you need to know.

If you want to use pointers, more power to you.  That's not the same
thing as using %STR. I want to emphasize again that my objection was to
the use of %STR, not pointers.

Not sure where we are misconnecting here.

> In the event that pointers are needed, how to access that data is a
> bit of a challenge.

That's always a problem when working on old (V5R4 or older) versions of
RPG where the data is limited to being viewed in 64k pieces. If I had
any clue of what your data is or how you're planning to use it, I might
be able to suggest something... but I know absolutely nothing about it
at this point.

> Would you say it's unlikely that an element would
> be this kind of size?

You are the one who knows what sort of data is being passed here...  Not
sure how I'd know this??