Troubleshooting a call to Google Calendar web services from HTTPAPI (cross-posted to MIDRANGE-L and the HTTPAPI List)

I've gotten as far as sending a request through HTTPAPI to the Google
Calendar web services, but I'm getting back
     HTTP/1.1 401 Unknown authorization header."

The request, and the authorization header, except for the timestamp and
nonce, and the resulting signature, appear to be identical to what I
successfully sent from the "OAuth Playground" last week. I've worked
through all of the obvious typos, and can't make head or tail of what
else could be causing it to fail.

Anybody got any insights?

--
JHHL