RE: SetError() #29: gsk_sec_soc_open: (GSKit) Handle is not valid

Scott to the rescue!! I've said it before...use the current Beta software. Very stable, bug fixes!! http://www.Scottklement.com/httpapi/beta

>     What should i expect to see in the DCM for the *System certificate
>     store?       Do I have to identify each user profile that will run
>     this process?

The default certificate store path and filename is shown in the wrklnk command. When logged in as you, can you see this file?
WRKLNK '/QIBM/UserData/ICSS/CERT/SERVER/DEFAULT.RDB'

When you visit the DCM, you don't really see anything. Did you go into the DCM (login with QSECOFR like person), "Select a Certificate Store", choose *system, and successfully get in (a certificate store password will be required)? That is enough for SSL to work. What you will see is something like this:
Current Certificate Store

"You have selected to work with the certificate store listed below. The left frame is being refreshed to show the task list for this certificate store. Select a task from the left frame to begin working with this certificate store.

Certificate type:	Server or client
Certificate store:	*SYSTEM
Certificate store path and filename:	/QIBM/USERDATA/ICSS/CERT/SERVER/DEFAULT.KDB"

Our i is at V5R4 and IIRC we didn't have to do anything else. But some people have problems with authority and Scott included in the README some ways he found to make it work in those cases. No, you shouldn't have to put applications or people in the DCM - unless you have been given a certificate by the other company or they require you use a specific certificate.

>     Is http_url_post_xml() the right function to being back XML Data file?

That is one way to do it and it works well. Did you intend to download the XML file or just parse it directly?