HTTPAPI and SSL

I am trying to use the HTTPAPI to send a request to a web service. We have
developed the webservice internally and runs on Glassfish 2.1. Getting it
to work via HTTP was simple. It has to use HTTPS for security reasons. Here
is what I've got working. I can call the web service, the code on the app
server executes, I get a response from the web service. The problem is that
the soap envelope I construct isn't making it to the web server. I've
placed system.outs after every line of code on the java side and the input
parameters are clearly not making it to the web service.  I thought this
may have something to do with the face that the test web service is using a
self signed cert and this cert is not in the CA store on the AS400, but I
don't think that is the problem since I can get the java programs to
execute and return a response to the as400. Just for grins I looked at the
certificate store and can't find a client application for the httpapi (as
some internet postings alluded to). That really confused me since I would
think that I needed to trust a certificate before I'd accept it. This says
to me that the AS400 is accepting the self signed certificate from the
app server even though I don't it doesn't come from a trusted CA. Anyone
care to elaborate?