RE: *** PLEASE READ: How to ask for help.

On behalf of all of us "well-greased wheels", thank you.

Steve Bowdoin

-----Original Message-----
From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2011 12:13 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: *** PLEASE READ: How to ask for help.

Folks,

HTTPAPI and FTPAPI are community-supported, open-source projects.
Everyone (or almost everyone?) on this mailing list is a computer
programmer, and a professional who does this for a living.

With that in mind, please understand this:

When I put FTPAPI and HTTPAPI on-line for you to use for free, I was trying
to help you. I was NOT offering to provide you with 24x7 service for free.
Help for these projects is provided through this mailing list, and is
provided by a community of people.

Now, I know there's a saying "the squeaky wheel gets the grease." People
have learned that whomever complains the loudest, and is the most obnoxious
about it, will get helped.  THAT SAYING DOES NOT APPLY HERE.
That saying assumes that you are working with an organization that needs
your business.  Although I want to help you, I do not *need* your business.
If you irritate me, or increase the stress in my life, it does NOT make me
want to help you.

But, in general...  I really do *want* to help you.  That's the only reason
I do this!  and I am glad to help you... but please respect these
boundaries:

* Requests for help MUST be posted to this mailing list.

* do NOT e-mail me or call me at work.

* do NOT call me on my cell phone or home phone.

* Again... the only appropriate place to ask about these projects is here on
the mailing list.

* do NOT send me private e-mail about FTPAPI/HTTPAPI unless there's a good
reason why you need privacy/confidentiality!

Thank you!