RE: gsk_sec_soc_open: (GSKit) Handle is not valid.

You will get some further information if you save the XML from the debug and open with IE. IE says "Whitespace is not allowed at this location."

If you use an XML aware editor (Notepad2 worked for me-barely but it helped), it will show something strange around here:
<v8:CustomerTransactionId>Test v8 Rate Request</  v8:CustomerTransactionId>

Whitespace! And there are multiple instances of "</  ". In addition it appears soapenv:Header does not have have a "<". And this part appears messed: <SOAP/soapenv:Body>  <SOAP/soapenv:BodyEnvelope> (there are no "body" tags to match up with these and "SOAP" probably shouldn't be there).

You are making progress! Good luck