From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 1:53 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Unknown system state during get request

hi Eric,

What I can tell you is that HTTPAPI is calling the gsk_secure_soc_init()
API provided by OS/400.  The API is failing with error code
GSK_ERROR_IO, and errno is set to EUNKNOWN. That's all the information I
have about the error at this point.

As the error is occurring during a call to an IBM API, we're left with
two possibilities:  (1) HTTPAPI is providing bad information to the API.
  Or (2) The API has a bug.

Unfortunately, "Unknown System State" isn't a lot of information!

I'm curious about your inability to upgrade to the latest HTTPAPI.  You
say it'll take you several hours -- but I don't understand why.  I would
like to understand it better so I know how to improve HTTPAPI in the
future.  What difficulty do you have updating HTTPAPI?

Even if I had a fix for HTTPAPI that solved the problem you encountered,
I don't see how I could get it to you?  If I issue a new copy of HTTPAPI
with the fix, you'd be unwilling to install it because of the time it
takes to update?

On 11/29/2010 12:58 PM, Eric Wasek wrote:

>     We use a simple program to send a get request to a server and receive
>     back information in an IFS file.  But instead of information in a
>     file, it is getting an error.  Following is the debug information.
>

>     HTTPAPI Ver 1.16 released 2006-05-07
>
>     New iconv() objects set, ASCII=819. EBCDIC=0
>
>     https_init(): entered
>
>     -----------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     Dump of local-side certificate information:
>
>     -----------------------------------------------------------------
>
>     http_url_get(): entered
>
>     http_persist_open(): entered
>
>     http_long_ParseURL(): entered
>
>     (GSKit) I/O: Unknown system state.
>
>     ssl_error(406): (GSKit) I/O: Unknown system state.
>
>     SetError() #30: SSL Handshake: (GSKit) I/O: Unknown system state.
>

>     Some of the code from the program is as follows.
>

>     C                   CALLP     HTTP_DEBUG(*ON: DBGFILE)
>
>     c                   eval      rc = https_init(*BLANKS)
>
>     c                   if        rc<  0
>
>     c                   eval      msg = http_error(rc)
>
>     c                   if        rc = HTTP_NOTREG
>
>     c                   exsr      RegisterMe
>
>     c                   return
>
>     c                   else
>
>     c                   dsply                   msg
>
>     c                   return
>
>     c                   endif
>
>     c                   endif
>
>     c                   eval      rc = http_url_get(
>
>     c                                  UrlText :
>
>     c                                  '/tmp/httptest.html')
>

>     This code is a modified version of example 3 from Scotts examples.  We
>     change the UrlText constant to what we use during production and
>     compile this code on our version 5.1 system and send it to another
>     remote 5.1 system to test.  It runs correctly on our 5.1 system, but
>     not on the remote system.  We have been running this get request on
>     the local system for many years, but it has yet to work on this remote
>     system.
>

>     We have changed the UrlText constant to perform the get request to the
>     Klements site (like in example 3) and it works correctly from both the
>     local and remote systems.  So we know that it can work from both the
>     local and remote systems.  It just does not work from the remote
>     system with the url needed for the live, production software.
>

>     We know that this is a very old version of the programs (1.16).  But
>     this wonderful old version is working great at several locations.  To
>     upgrade all of them would require several hours that I do not wish to
>     use as part of this project unless necessary.  We are only currently
>     using the basic functions of version 1.16 and do not want to upgrade
>     until we need to use some more advanced functions.
>

>     A search of the archives found some PTFs for 5.4 (while the problem
>     system is on 5.1) and some Digital Certificate Manager information
>     that should not affect what we are trying to do.
>

>     Any ideas or assistance is appreciated.
>

>     Eric Wasek

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments may contain privileged and/or confidential information. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that reading, copying, disclosing, distributing, disseminating or taking any action in relation to the contents of this e-mail and any of its attachments is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original e-mail and destroy any copies or printouts of this e-mail as well as any attachments.