Re: What can I do if I can't use SoapUI?

   Thank you for the replies.
   This is the first Fortune 100 company I have worked for and they do
   things different then I am used to. My prior shop was a total of 9
   people in the IT department, 2 of us were iSeries. If we needed
   something we could just install it and move forward. This company has
   100's of developers, mainframe, iSeries, .NET, Java, etc...
   This project is also a Credit Card project. The first call I am
   attempting is to register the credit card number for a "Token".  When
   I run it I get an HTTP 500 error. I asked the guys that wrote the web
   services for help, they are in another state, maybe country, and that
   is when I found out I need the X.509 certificate for the "token"
   calls.  I still do not know if the lack of the certificate is the
   cause of the 500 error.  They do not seem to be able to answer
   questions in a timely manner.
   I am running WDSCi v6.0.1. I have been able to load some plugins, such
   as QuantumDB. I didn't ask permission, I just installed it. One issue
   is they block access to sourceforge so I have to e-mail files to
   myself from home. They do not like open source.
   I did install SoapUI, which surprised me that I wasn't blocked since I
   do not have admin rights on the laptop. However, when I attempt to
   start SoapUI it is immediately blocked by the firewall, may be the
   Windows firewall. Either way I can't ask for the firewall settings to
   be changed since I am not supposed to have the software.  We have made
   a request for the software to be considered for approval but I have
   heard that can take months.
   "In case you are allowed to use Eclipse you may try to use the "Web
   Services Explorer" of the Web Tools Platform Plug-in.
   On my opinion soapUI is far ahead of the Web Services Explorer but on
   the other hand the Web Services Explorer is better than nothing."
   I will give this a try.
   "In case all you need are sample Soap messages you may also consider
   to download the WSDL files using your favorite Internet browser and
   than use
   soapUI to generate the sample Soap messages at home."
   I will also give this a try.
   "The other option is to ask the "powers that be" what approved tool
   they have available that will perform the task that you need (and of
   course copy your manager). Faced with a challenge - and no way to
   answer it because they have no suitable tool available - I have often

   found that such bureaucrats will often quickly identify an "exception"
   process - 'cos the alternative involves them in actually doing some
   work as opposed to merely preventing it!"
   Jon, this is one of the questions I, and the project manager, asked
   and the reply was basically asking why I need such a tool and no one
   else does. The only developers who have needed to access these web
   services in the past are the .NET developers.
   "If you are allowed to use Eclipse, there is also a SoapUI plugin for
   Eclipse. Maybe that's allowed because it is 'only' a plugin :-)"
   I can also try this but I have a feeling it may be blocked by the
   firewall since the Windows version was blocked.
   Once I get 1 web service call to work I should be able to get the rest
   of them working. I need an answer from the web service authors as to
   why I am getting the HTTP 500 error.
   Thanks again for the replies and for letting me have a small rant
   against my working environment.  At least it's a job.
   T. Bishop
   to which it is addressed and may contain CONFIDENTIAL material. If you
   receive this material/information in error, please contact the sender
   and delete or destroy the material/information.