Re: Sockets, Sessions, Session handles, and FD handles

hi Dennis,

Originally, FTPAPI supported only one simultaneous FTP session.  You'd
call FTP_Conn(), and it'd connect to the FTP server and return a socket
descriptor.  You'd pass the descriptor back to FTP_put(), FTP_get(), and
friends to tell it to do things.  Those procedures would build the
appropriate FTP protocol commands and send them, and check for
success/failure.

Lots of settings were stored as global variables inside FTPAPI, this
included whether the session was in binary/ascii mode, what CCSIDs you'd
requested, send/receive buffers, various other state information.  They
were stored globally inside FTPAPIR4, so if you tried to call FTP_conn()
a second time to connect to a second server, it would all go haywire.

Thomas Raddatz decided to help out by saving all of the "per session"
information separately for each session by putting it into MODS, etc.
This way, you could have multiple sessions without them stepping on each
other's state information.

I insisted upon backward compatibility. I felt that existing programs
should continue to work without changes.

Thomas therefore decided to keep returning the socket descriptor from
the FTP_conn(), and keep receiving it to the other routines.  he used it
as the session index.  His thinking, I guess, is that the caller may
decide to manipulate the socket directly -- so to keep backward
compatibility, he had to keep using the socket descriptor as the
"session handle" as well as the actual FD for the socket.

I personally wasn't worried that the caller would try to access the
socket directly. I figured it was just an opaque session number, and
it's not really necessary to use the socket FD as the session index.
Especially since it seems to complicate things tremendously...

Even worse, many of the variable names that were originally used for the
socket descriptor are now actually holding the session index because the
paradigm has changed, but the variable names & comments haven't.

Anyway... I hope that dispels some of the confusion.

Also -- just FWIW -- I may have made changes to the copy of FTPAPI that
I have vs. the one that's on the web site.  (For example, I know I added
the ability to restart an FTP transfer in the middle at some point, and
I don't remember if I ever released that by putting it on the web page.)
   This means that at some point in time, we'll need to incorporate
these changes into your updated version.