Re: Questions Regarding "HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error"

Hello Ron,

On 10/1/2010 8:22 AM, Ron wrote:
>     1)       is HTTPAPI error #13 always just generated for this type of
>     situation (what triggers error #13)?

13 means "HTTP_RESP", and indicates that HTTPAPI detected the error by
reading the response code from the HTTP server.  (In this case, the
response code was 500 -- but any response code aside from 200 would
indicate an error.)

>     2)       is 500 a standard return code for HTTP?

500 means "internal server error", and means that the server detected an
error on it's own side of the conversation.  Usually, it means that a
program that the HTTP server ran (e.g. the web service) ended abnormally.

It's generally not a very useful error code, because there are so many
possible causes.

>     3)       can I get the 500 programmically out of HTTPAPI at runtime?

The number 500 should be returned from the http_url_post_xxx or
http_url_get_xxx routine that you're calling.

     code = http_url_post_xml(...etc...);
     select;
     when code = 500;
        // do whatever