From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:41 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: HTTP/1.1 412 Precondition Failed

Hi Charles,

"route to remote host not available" means "you cannot here there from
here."  In other words, your network does not provide a way to connect
from the computer where HTTPAPI is running to the server it's trying to
connect to.

This is a TCP/IP configuration problem, and really has nothing to do
with HTTPAPI (it applies to any/all TCP/IP software connecting to that
same host.)

HOWEVER...  you weren't getting this error yesterday.  you were getting
a '412 Precondition Failed' which is really interesting to me because it
means you connected successfully.  And you can't connect successfully if
your TCP/IP routing is configured wrong.

Think of it like a telephone call.  HTTPAPI is "calling" another program
(an HTTP server) on another computer.  Once the call has been answered,
it will "talk" to that computer, this is how HTTP sends/receives data.

The "route" error means that it can't complete the phone call.  Consider
if your company's internal telephone system was disconnected from the
telephone company.  you'd still be able to call other extensions within
the organization, but you wouldn't be able to call outside of the
organization.  That's basically what a "no route to host" message means.

The "412" error means that you successfully made the call.  You are
talking to someone on the other end, and that person said "Sorry
Charlie... I can't help you because <insert reason here>".

Those are two very different things.  If the person you're talking to
says "Sorry Charlie" you don't think something is wrong with your
telephone and start investigating whether the cables are plugged in
correctly!  Indeed, the fact that you spoke to someone would be proof
that your phone system *is* working.

The same is true here.  That 412 error "proved" to me that you had
TCP/IP configured properly, and that you were providing some bad option
in your code.   But now we've backslided, and your system isn't even
routed properly anymore...

And it's clearly not Paymenttech.  (That would be trying to order a
pizza on the phone, and getting a message saying "our PBX isn't
connected to the telephone company", then blaming the pizza delivery
service.)