Re: Consuming Web Services

   hi Vince,
   I'm oversimplifying very slightly, but...
   A web service involves nothing more (or less) than an XML document,
   sent via HTTP, to a program on a server, and then a response XML
   document being received back (all in a single transaction).
   That's it.  That's the whole thing.  The only trouble is, the XML
   documents are different with every service.  No two are the same!  So
   EXAMPLE18 is a good sample of how to send/receive an XML document --
   but *please* don't use it as an example of what the XML is supposed to
   look like!  The XML is different for every service.
   The WSDL file is supposed to tell you what the XML message looks
   like.   However, please don't try to intepret the WSDL by hand -- only
   weirdos like me would try to do it by hand!   Use a computer program
   to interpret the WSDL, instead.    Try SoapUI, it's a free (open
   source) computer program, you can feed it a WSDL, and it'll tell you
   all sorts of info about the web service, including what the XML
   document is supposed to look like.   You can even edit the XML and try
   sending/receiving the XML documents.
   SoapUI is available for free (open source) -- there's also a paid
   commercial version, but you probably don't need it for what you're
   doing.  Here's a link:
   [1]http://soapui.org
   Selders, Vince E wrote:

   Thanks in advance to anyone who may lend a hand.  I've gone through
   the archives but haven't found anything close to meeting my needs.  I
   am as green as they get when it comes to web services, so I have no
   idea where to even begin.

   I tried using Scott's example program (Example18) to get started, but
   I'm afraid I simply don't understand.

   The wsdl I've got is different from the one for the Currency Exchange
   example so it's difficult for me to translate.

          Where the currency exchange has something like:  <s:element
   name="ConversionRate">

   I have <wsdl:operation name="searchMP" parameterOrder="searchXML"> - I
   know that "searchMP" translate to a method in the web service ... is
   that true for ConversionRate?  Why are they different?  The web
   service I'm trying to hit is from a different department and I am
   unable to change how they do things,

   I'll quit for now, I'm so frustrated I don't even know if I asked a
   question

   Vince Selders

   Lead Programmer/Analyst

    [[2]1]VESelders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   Desk: (314) 387-4244   Fax: (888) 656-0383

   Confidentiality Notice:  This message, including ANY attachments, is
   for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
   confidential and privileged information.   Any unauthorized review,
   use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
   intended recipient, or feel you have received this message errantly,
   please contact the sender via reply e-Mail and destroy all copies of
   the original message.