Re: Google Translate API's

   hi Scott,

   thanks, I will look forward to this enhancement.

   It is correct that the original RFC documents specified a URL

   to be escaped in US-ASCII, but that was before the world got

   globalized, by the way Firefox 3.0 encodes AJAX call's in UTF-8

   as standard.

   Apparently Google expects UTF-8 encoding, and I don't think it

   is the last we have seen of that, so it would be great to have

   this feature.

   Regards

   Henrik

   Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Sent by: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   29-07-2009 21:04

                             Please respond to
        HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects <ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

   HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects <ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

                                                                       cc

                                                                  Subject

   Re: Google Translate API's

   hi Henrik,
   Sorry, I've been responding slowly to your messages because I'm very
   busy.
   You've discovered most of the problem already, but let me explain it
   from my point of view.  The following three points are central to the
   way it currently works:
   1) URL-encoded data is intended to be data that is valid in an HTTP
   URL.
   2) Since an HTTP URL is part of the HTTP protocol, the encoded data
   should be in the protocol's encoding (CCSID).
   3) The RFC documents that set the standard for the HTTP protocol state
   that HTTP uses 7-bit US-ASCII encoding for the protocol itself.
   You seem to be asking HTTPAPI to convert your data from EBCDIC to
   UTF-8,
   then URL encode the UTF-8 data into 7-bit US-ASCII. In other words,
   first convert it to a variable-byte character set, and then encode it
   as
   a single byte character set for the purposes of making it compliant
   with
   the 7-bit ASCII in a URL, then convert it back to EBCDIC, so you can
   add
   it to your URL and have HTTPAPI convert it back to ASCII again when
   sending the request.
   WHEW!  Can you see how confusing this gets?
   Anyway...  I think I can do that easily enough.  I'll treat the input
   the URL encoder as being in the CCSID of the PostData (so the existing
   HTTP_setCCSIDs routine will work) and then translate it to whichever
   CCSID you've specified, then encode it, then translate back to EBCDIC
   as
   if the data had been ASCII.  Complicated, but it should work.
   I have a (beta) fix already on my machine.  Unfortunately, I'm in the
   midst of reworking all of the EXAMPLExx members in HTTPAPI (since a
   lot
   of them are useless or outdated and no longer work) and that makes it
   difficult for me to put together a beta copy for you to test.
   So please be patient.