RE: HTTPAPI's EXAMPLExx members

Scott,

As one who has been in learn mode much more than in use mode, I like to see as many examples as possible. But, maybe what we could use instead is a user contribution area.

Include the examples you talked about. These would be the "learn examples". Create another set of optional code (source file QUSRSRC?) that would have examples of actual working programs that build off of HTTPAPI examples. These additional programs wouldn't have to be teaching anything specific, but could be a way to use what another example already explained.

Building off the geo-coding example...The simple service I found one place was basically the GET. You already provide an example of the GET, no need to include another "learning example". But, if someone wrote a specific geo-coding program that worked with XYZ.COM and released the code to the project, it would be available in some manner for all to use. Basically, what I'm suggesting is a user contribution area that would be additional examples that all could use (and yes might even learn something from occasionally). (for another example, your "weather" program could be in here -- if you have rights to it)

I suspect that one of your motivations is to include minimal examples that show the techniques because people expect you to support the examples (ie the 15 times in the last year someone explained webservicex problems). What I'm suggesting would keep that part clean, but still provide very quick starter programs for specific purposes.

Would that be unmanageable? I would think so long as that source file (or however they would be delivered) is clearly marked as user contributed that it would be okay to have stuff there. It could also be a place where old examples go to die (webservicex). If it were I, I would not create an "install (compile instructions)" for this bunch of files, but would leave that up to individual users.

Mike Krebs