Re: Package Manager

Thomas,

Once again, I want to point out that you need some sort of central
repository of packages on the system.  At least, if you want the package
manager to be able to present a subfile with all of the packages on the
system, you're going to need somewhere for it to find out what all of
those packages are.

I hardly think it's practical to scan every program and service program
on the system for a COPYRIGHT string.

My suggestion, in a previous message, was to have an IFS directory where
you place all of the package info, including the version, site to check
for updates, etc.  Each time you install a package, it writes it's own
information into that IFS directory.  When you want to look for updates,
the package manager reads all of the files in that directory to
determine what you have, then checks teh corresponding web sites for
updates, and puts the results in a subfile (or web page or whatever).

Seems simple.  Why do you want to use an exported subprocedure or the
copyright information for something like this?  Seems to make it more
complicated, and still leaves us without any information about the web
site, etc.