Re: HTTPAPI vs ISockets

   " The attitude of "you've got the source, and it was free so change it
   yourself" is sort of strange and only dampens the desire for others to
   use it."
   WHAT?  So this proves, in addition to Scott's comments about not
   understanding URL's and Web Services, perhaps Mr. Cozzi doesn't
   understand Open Source.  Of course, growing up in what *was* a more
   or  less proprietary world (Midrange Systems circa 1980) you can see
   how that can bias one's understanding of what open source software is
   all about.  And the i world today still lags, IMHO, in developing and
   releasing RPG based open source solutions.  But the quoted statement
   is just plain WRONG. Having the source and being free to change and
   enhance is what open source is all about.  And, as a practical matter,
   contributing BACK those changes to the community is also what open
   source is all about (apparently also not understood by Mr. Cozzi).
   Fortunately, having progressive folks like Scott and Aaron Bartell to
   promote and to deliver open source solutions, tailored to the i
   community, will eventually overcome the ignorance of using not knowing
   how to use open source software effectively in the i enterprise.
   Interesting post Simon.  Hard to believe their are still folks with
   that attitude out there.
   Pete
   Jones, Simon wrote:

   This isnt really a technical question as such, more a
   comment/statement of support for HTTPAPI.  Having used this facility
   for a while with no issues, no problems, and knowing that it has saved
   me in the past probably weeks of effort in doing I was amused to see
   the following post in one of the forums

   "Heck, look at iSockets ([1]www.isockets.net) it is a SOCKETS wrapper
   *SRVPGM that I
   wrote a couple years ago. Why did I write it? Because the one that
   "everybody"
   suggested I use, written by a noted Magazine Author, was so ridge that
   couldn't install it into anything other than the library the author
   initially
   used. Which meant I had to add yet another library to my library list
   to,
   compile it, to run it and to allow the end-users to use it.  The
   attitude of
   "you've got the source, and it was free so change it yourself" is sort
   of
   strange and only dampens the desire for others to use it. And this one
   was
   written by a relatively good developer."

   At least he thinks Scott is a 'relatively' good developer, although
   quite what you need to do to be an 'actually' good developer is beyond
   me at the moment!

   This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered
   office at 80 Strand, London WC2R 0RL.
   Registered in England and Wales with company number 53723