From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Lampert
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 4:30 PM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Firewall question

My fellow geeks:

Ok, so I've reworked the error handling in our web service client, so
that if the first (by domain name URL) and second (by dotted-decimal IP
address) attempts to contact our web service fail, they get repeated
with the debug flag turned on, and all the error data available to the
program is shown on a display file page, rather than being spat out in
RPG DSPLY statements.

We had our first reported failure-to-connect since I made the change,
and here it is (I'm hand-typing this from a screen shot):

HTTPAPI Ver 1.21 released 2007-10-01

New iconv() objects set, PostRem=819. PostLoc=0. ProtRem=819. ProtLoc=0

 > http_persist_open(): entered
 > http_long_ParseURL(): entered
 > DNS resolver retrans: 2
 > DNS resolver retry  : 2
 > DNS resolver options: x'00000136'
 > DNS default domain: na.cokecce.com
 > DNS server found: 167.105.23.50
 > DNS server found: 167.105.7.50
 > SetErrror() #7: Timeout occurred while trying to connect to server!
 > http_persist_open(): entered
 > http_long_ParseURL(): entered
 > DNS resolver retrans: 2
 > DNS resolver retry  : 2
 > DNS resolver options: x'00000136'
 > DNS default domain: na.cokecce.com
 > DNS server found: 167.105.23.50
 > DNS server found: 167.105.7.50
 > SetErrror() #7: Timeout occurred while trying to connect to server!

In this case, there is no sign that the request ever reached our web
service, so it's not quite the same as the original problem.

Does this look like a firewall problem? Or something else?

--
James H. H. Lampert
Touchtone Corporation