Re: Firewall question

Hi James,

OS/400 buffers output data...   So HTTPAPI can write data to to be sent
to the server, and the operating system will stick it into a buffer --
and not return any error to HTTPAPI -- while it's waiting for the data
to be sent to the server.

So if a firewall is blocking this outgoing data, HTTPAPI won't realize
it, since it was successfully sent to the buffer.  Unfortunately TCP (on
any platform) never knows whether the data was sent successfully or not,
until it gets a acknowledgement.  If a firewall is blocking data, it
won't know that the data wasn't received until it times out waiting for
that acknowledgement.  (If that makes sense?)

Anyway... the point is... it's quite common to not detect any errors
until HTTPAPI tries to RECEIVE something... which is what it sounds like
you're experiencing.   Typically, you'd only get an error during the
connect, or during a receive.  (And using a proxy may eliminate the
error on the connect -- so you'd only get it on the receive...)

Unless you mean that the request has actually ARRIVED on the server, and
the server folks can see the request?   In that case, ignore everything