RE: HTTPAPI for requests

Tim,

Scott has the sockets tutorial if you wish to spin your own (he has an
example of a server program in the tutorial). Otherwise (and more likely),
you are probably looking at a standard web server with CGI, web services
(java in the form of websphere or tomcat/axis), or other software running
behind it.

The simplest "web service" is a Get request to a web server. When the web
server receives that request, it returns whatever was asked for (in your
case an xml file). Over the last five years there have been a number of
getting started articles that took a basic approach to this subject.

Here is one:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-as400/index.html

The http://www.Easy400.net website can help you get started with CGI.

If you have websphere running, you can build "real" web services. WDSC has
some wizards to help.

If you run an IIS web server, you can create the web service in vb.net.

Here is an article written a while back using Axis with Tomcat:
http://www.itjungle.com/mpo/mpo021303-story01.html

Good luck,
Mike Krebs