Re: 'out of range' error in FD_SET

Hi Scott,

I recently ran into this situation where I recieved the Message "Length or
start position is out of range for the string operation".

As already determined this occurs when running FTPAPI within the same job
for more then 254 times. The job is during the day repeatedly polling a FTP
server in standard mode.

Your response then was that while enlarging the capacity of the descriptor
set was the easy solution, the proper solution should be to ensure that the
descriptors are closed, so they can be available for reuse.

Upon checking the archives and looking into the HTTPAPI and FTPAPI source
code I think the situation still is as when this error was previously
reported.

How can I determine that a file descriptor can be closed using FD_CLEAR, and
how and when should I then be using FD_ISSET to determine if a FD is
available?

Kind regards,

Loek Maartens,
Veracity Software Consultancy BV