RE: Web Service that requires XML document in HTTP Header

Scott,

The size of the document could be a problem, because theoretically it
could be very big. The document describes a travel insurance policy
including the details of all the individuals covered by the policy.
In most cases the number of travellers is quite small (ten or less)
but it could be much larger - our database design allows up to 999
travellers.

Looking at the API code it seems that the actual restriction on the
size of the header field is actually less than 32,767 bytes because it
has to fit into field wwReqChain along with all the other headers, and
wwReqChain itself has a maximum length of 32,767 bytes (presumably the
HTTPAPI code is limited to 32,767 rather than 65,535 for backwards
compatibility with earlier compiler releases). I'm going to have to
work out whether this is a feasible solution for us because of this
restriction.

I suppose I could look at dynamically allocating memory for the request
header, but I'm concerned about maintaining backward compatibility if
I do anything too "clever" because I don't have access to any OS
release earlier than V5R4.

This would all be so much easier if the people who wrote this service
had done it properly...

Nick
Nick Townsend
Technical Leader