Re: ssl ftp

Hi Diane,

FTPAPI is not capable of accessing web servers (whether SSL or not),
it's only capable of accessing FTP servers.  It's sister project,
HTTPAPI is for accessing web servers.

Do you mean that you will be adding SSL to your FTP server?   If so, you
have the option to allow only SSL connections, or to allow both SSL and
non-SSL connections. Since FTPAPI doesn't support SSL, you'll need to
run it through a non-SSL connection.

Note that I do not recommend SSL FTP.  It's a real bear to get SSL FTP
to work through the ubiquitous NAT gateways out there, and this makes
SSL FTP a real headache.  If you have any say in the matter (...and I
realize that you may not...) consider using sftp (the FTP-like interface
to SSH) instead of SSL FTP.  It works much better, IMHO.

On the other hand, since you were talking about web sites, you might
actually mean HTTPAPI instead of FTPAPI.   HTTPAPI supports SSL, and has
supported it since the start.  SSL was originally designed to work with
the HTTP protocol, so they play very nicely together.

If you must use SSL FTP, however...   IBM's FTP client (the one that
comes with i5/OS) does support SSL starting in... err, I can't remember
if it's V5R2 or V5R3 that's the first release to support it.  But, it's
supported...

You could, of course, add SSL support to FTPAPI. I haven't done so
because I haven't needed the support myself. Remember that FTPAPI is an
open source project.

Craig Strong did write some SSL enhancements to FTPAPI at one time, but
I couldn't include them because they broke other things in FTPAPI's
behavior.  You can read about them, and download Craig's code if you
want it, from the following link:
http://www.scottklement.com/archives/ftpapi/200704/msg00015.html