From: ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ftpapi-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:12 AM
To: HTTPAPI and FTPAPI Projects
Subject: Re: Certificate validation

Hi Carl,

If you want a quick fix to this problem, open up the COMMSSLR4 source
member of HTTPAPI, and search for GSK_SERVER_AUTH_PASSTHRU.  Replace
GSK_SERVER_AUTH_PASSTHRU with GSK_SERVER_AUTH_FULL.  Then recompile HTTPAPI.

The reason this is set to passthru (which allows "untrusted" and
"expired" certificates) is because i5/OS doesn't return any certificate
information to HTTPAPI if the SSL handshake fails, and that means I
can't provide debugging information.  Since a majority of the users of
this software didn't care so much about certificate validation, they
only cared about "getting it to work", I used passthru authentication.
It provided a lot more debugging information, and it made things work.

Note that the ability to switch HTTPAPI to use FULL authentication is
one of the SSL security enhancements that I proposed in my e-mail to you
on Dec 18 -- and it should be in the next release of HTTPAPI.

Should have a beta version for you to test, soon.