Problem parsing XML with EXPAT

Forgive me if I'm not posting this to the correct list, but I figured I
would start here since I downloaded EXPAT with HTTPAPI.

I am having trouble parsing some real simple XML.
I have a web page that posts the following XML to my RPG CGI program.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<CustomerRequest>
<Customer>6515555555</Customer>
</CustomerRequest>

When I read STDIN I can see that the XML is being posted as follows:
<?xml
version="1.0"?><CustomerRequest><Customer>6515555555</Customer></Custome
rRequest>

When I passed the XML string to XML_Parse I receive the error: not
well-formed (invalid token)

I changed my program to convert the data coming from STDIN to ASCII
prior to calling XML_Parse and I am able to get to the procedure I
specified to handle the start of the element, but the element being
returned is blank.
Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing this? I'm sure I'm
missing something, but I don't know what.
Thanks in advance,
Griz