providing web services via HTTPAPI

   At the agency I work for we've taken some of Scott's examples of
   server code and have a batch program listening on port 4000. When
   contacted via telnet, this spawns another job which authenticates the
   user and asks for a "program to call".
   We'd like to provide something like web services using this
   methodology. However, I'm not seeing any real examples of this. I
   would presume that XML would be the best way to communicate between
   the client and server. Has anyone on the list done anything like this?
   Is there a better way to provide web services that would be more
   robust and/or more straightforward?
   The idea of rolling our own using these tools has some pros and cons.
   I can't help but think this has been done before... why re-invent the
   wheel.
   Elden Fenison
   Programmer/Analyst
   Linn-Benton-Lincoln ESD