HTTPAPI timeouts

I think this has been raised before, but I haven't seen an answer.

Using HTTPAPI version 1.17, if there is a timeout connecting to the
server, the actual error returned to the program is the socket
descriptor error.

I know in previous versions (at least 1.10) we only got the timeout
error.
For example:

HTTPAPI Ver 1.17 released 2006-09-23

New iconv() objects set, PostRem=819. PostLoc=0. ProtRem=819. ProtLoc=0
https_init(): entered
-------------
Dump of local-side certificate information:
-------------
http_url_get(): entered
http_persist_open(): entered
http_long_ParseURL(): entered
SetError() #7: Timeout occurred while trying to connect to server!
(GSKit) The socket descriptor specified within the gsk_handle is not
valid.
ssl_error(6016): (GSKit) The socket descriptor specified within the
gsk_handle is not valid.
SetError() #30: SSL Handshake: (GSKit) The socket descriptor specified
within the gsk_handle is
Dump of server-side certificate information:
Cert Validation Code = 0=

Is there a way of trapping the original timeout error in the calling
program ?

Regards

Ian Patterson