Trouble Upgrading to new release

I was preparing to upgrade to release 1.17 of HTTPAPI.

1.  First I installed release 2.0 of EXPAT.
2.  Then I installed 1.17 of HTTPAPI.  Of course, the install blew on
EXPAT.
3.  I created a duplicate object of EXPAT service program in HTTAPI, and
re-ran the HTTPAPI install command.

4. Now, my expat program will not run.  Execution error is " Program
signature violation".
5. The program will not even recompile (copy of XPATH).

Error is on this line:   p = XML_ParserCreate(*NULL);
Error:  *RNF7536 30      1 The type of the parameter specified for the call
does not match the prototype.
6.  I am restoring my LIBEXPAT and LIBHTTP,  which should fix the problem
for now.   But I did not expect to have to recompile objects just to
upgrade to new releases.

What have I done wrong?

regards,

Linda Landreth