RE: HTTPAPI at V5R4

Hi Marc,

Sorry to get to this thread so late...

<snip>
    We are encountering a rather strange problem with the HTTPAPI and a
    particular web service which almost harks back to problems there were
    about 3 years ago.  Basically the connection is sporadically dropped
    during the request.  The error in the joblog is:
    (GSKit) I/O: A connection with a remote socket was reset by that
    socket.
    It will work about 50% of the time.  If we run the exact same program
    with the exact same service program from a V5R3 box it works fine.  If
    we run the same request from a browser it works fine.  The program I'm
    running is basically example3 with the url and data parms changed.
    We've seen this on two V5R4 boxes so far and we're trying to test on
    more machines to make sure that it's OS related.  Has anyone else had
    seen strange behaviour like this on V5R4?
    Thanks!
    Marc
</snip>

Yes, we are at V5R4 and we encounter the same problem. In my last place of
work we used this wonderful software on V5R3 and it worked very very well.

I have just created a test-rig for our SOAP service and I get the same
problem. We loop through 100 internet sales and generate SOAP requests from
them. We then fire the requests to our SOAP server. The 100 responses are
then compared to the original sales data to see if the values are the same.
I would say 50%-80% of the responses have zero length and we get the "socket
reset" error. As a short-term work-around I simply re-coded to force the
request again on failure (up to 10 times) and they all eventually come back
OK (as one of the 10 attempts succeeds).

This error is encountered using HTTP not HTTPS so the problem seems to be
occuring somewhere in common software. I have a java client and an asp
client performing similar tasks and they always return a valid response. I
would guess this is a PTF issue - I trust Scott's code over IBMs <grin>.

(I will have to re-check my HTTP assertion - just had a look and the client
is pointing to a URL with a https protocol defined. Sure it was http when
last tested. Hmmm... I'll retest using both and let you know what I get.)

Cheers

Larry Ducie