Re: Can HTTPAPI be used to consume a REST type Web Service?

Hello Tomas,

> Now to the question.  Can HTTPAPI be used to consume a REST type Web
> service?  I'm confused how to go about it and I'm having a hard time
> making the program work.

Absolutely.   To be honest, HTTPAPI doesn't know that it's consuming a web
service.  It's just communicating with a HTTP server.  The part that makes
it a web service (SOAP or REST or whatever) is your RPG code.

For your example, you'll want to use HTTPAPI's URL Encoder utility to
create a URL that has all of the correct parameters embedded into it.
Then you'll use HTTP_url_get() to send that URL to the server and download
the response.  The response, of course, will be XML and you can ask
HTTPAPI to help you parse that XML.

So basically, you have these steps:

  a) Create a URL Encoder
  b) Use the encoder to encode your parameters.
  c) Create a URL from the base URL and the parameters.
  d) Free up the URL Encoder
  e) Send Request to Yahoo, receive response in XML file.
  f) Parse XML file

The most irritating part of this is that you have to sign up as a
developer with Yahoo.  I think they do this to prevent abuse of their
service, but that's really the hardest part of the process!