Re: SOCKUTIL vs HTTPAPI question

Hi Brian,

I strongly recommend that you never put any of your own code in the same
library with HTTPAPI.  I suggest that because it makes it very hard to
upgrade HTTPAPI.  I frequently create new versions of HTTPAPI for the sole
reason of fixing bugs, and you wouldn't be able to use any of those bug
fixes!  Or new features...  or whatever else.

The only stuff that should be in the same library with HTTPAPI is the
stuff that comes with it.  That way, you can delete that library and
install the new one, and none of your own code will require any changes.

That being the case, there's really no harm in having a separate copy of
SOCKUTILR4 that has your own custom routines.

Having said that, I don't know of any reason why you couldn't replace the
copy of SOCKUTILR4 in HTTPAPI with the one from the tutorial.  As far as I
know, they're exactly the same (other than the extra utilities, of
course.)

Actually, I was considering eliminating SOCKUTILR4 from HTTPAPI, putting
the routines in COMMTCPR4 instead....   but I'm not yet sure that I want
to do that, and I'm a little concerned that it'd break someone's code --
something I don't want to do.

--
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com