Re: HTTPAPI 1.17 released

Hi Michael,

The main difference between this version of Expat and the last one is bug
fixes. They also added support for AmigaOS, but I doubt that'll matter to
HTTPAPI users :)

Also, I should add that this version isn't that new. It's been out since
January. I've had the iSeries port of it on my site for a month or so
already. I just hadn't gotten around to upgrading HTTPAPI to use it until
now.

The main thing I did differently with the 2.0.0 port of Expat is that I
enabled UTF-16 support (instead of UTF-8) which makes it easier to use
with RPG since RPG supports UTF-16 natively.  However, it meant re-writing
a lot of the code that had already been written for UTF-8.

If you're using HTTPAPI's XML parsing module, your programs should remain
compatible, since it converts everything to EBCDIC before passing it to
your programs, anyway, so you won't see the difference.

However, if you're calling Expat directly, you'll have to modify your
programs, or maintain a separate copy of Expat that outputs UTF-8.  For
more info on that, please see the following article:
http://www.systeminetwork.com/article.cfm?id=53061

--
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com