Re: UTF-8 translation woos

A few thoughts:

a) I've never used UTF-8 for SOAP.  You say that SOAP requires it, and
maybe it does in your particular instance, but I just wnat to point out
that it's possible to use SOAP without UTF-8.

b) Unfortunately, you're right, HTTPAPI re-uses the same field both before
and after translation, so your source field has to be large enough to
accomodate the translated result.  It'd be nice if this could be fixed in
a future version (but it'd be a lot of work)

c) One workaround would be to create the document in UTF-8 yourself
(instead of letting HTTPAPI translate it) and then send it with
http_url_post_raw2().  or http_url_post_stmf().  The disadvantage to that
method is that you have to parse the XML separately.

I'll work on a fix to HTTPAPI itself so that this isnt a problem.  I need
to change HTTPAPI to use the UTF-16 version of Expat, anyway.  I might as
well fix both at the same time.

--
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com