UTF-8 translation woos

I'm developing a credit card application that is using SOAP transactions.
SOAP requires translating to UTF-8 CCSID.  The output translation result is
being truncated because it is larger than the input do to special
characters in the credit card track data. If I pad the SOAP content with
trailing blanks to allow for the larger output translation result, the
transaction processes successfully.

Other than padding with trailing blanks, which is a guessing game as to how
much to pad, is there another way to overcome this issue.

I'm using the http_url_post_xml method to process the credit card through
an SSL connection.

Rusty Gadberry
Arkansas Data Services, Inc.
Makers of DOCS/400
501-327-8000 office
www.ark-data-services.com

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.  Any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any