Re: FTPAPI question

Sender: Christian <chrisv5@xxxxxx>

Scott Klement wrote:
Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Another situation is where people will "poll" for files on FTP servers. They'll have an RPG program that's using FTPAPI to connect to FTP servers on each of their branch offices. The RPG program then cycles through the different connections, doing an FTP_list() on each connection to see if there's any files to download. Since it calls FTP_list() every second or so for each office, timeouts aren't usually a problem.

Ahh... that makes perfect sense to me!

All of the FTP clients that I've seen that have any sort of "timeout" controls merely send a SITE command to the server with the new timeout value. Is this what you're referring to? If so, it can be easily done with FTPAPI using FTP_quote().

Well, not really... while you are downloading a large file over a slow connection, you are stuck and cannot do anything (well, I guess that is where the callbacks come in?). I never looked into the callback stuff, but that might just work!

There's no need for making them threadsafe. RPG is not a threadsafe language. The compiler generates code (that the programmer has no control over) that's not threadsafe. The only way RPG it can safely be used in a multi-threaded environment is to have THREAD(*SERIALIZE) on the H-spec, and since this causes it to be serialized, you'll never have multiple threads running at once in an RPG program.

Thanks for the insight. I'll leave it just as it is then.

Regards,
Christian