Re: FTPAPI question

I am not sure if this belongs in this discussion, but something I'd asked about in the past, but had not been able to look at was the ability to have time out capabilities on data connections similar to how the control connection will time out after a certain amount of time.  To elaborate, what will happen is our process will connect to the remote host and then attempt to get a directory listing or retrieve a file and at that time our job will go in to a TIMW state and stay there forever.

I mentioned this on the list before and Scott was nice enough to give me some thoughts on how to fix it, but I've not had an opportunity to look in to this.  I am not sure if the areas of FTPAPI you are looking to touch are associated with the data connections or not, but I wanted to mention that in case it was possible to make changes to support that sort of time out while you were in doing other things.

Thanks again to everyone involved.

Regards,
Brian

Christian <chrisv5@xxxxxx>
Sent by: owner-ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

06/22/2006 01:31 AM

Please respond to
ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
FTPAPI question

Sender: Christian <chrisv5@xxxxxx>

I have a couple of questions on my mind, but cannot really focus on them
right now. Thus I hope that i am forgiven if I keep asking them one be
one. Right now I'd like to know this:

Why is there support for multiple sessions in FTPAPI? It uses
non-blocking sockets and it is not threaded, thus everything is
sequential anyway. This is actually a problem cause most FTP servers I
am aware of have the habit of timing out a connection rather quickly.
Hence the "keep alive" stuff in many generic FTP clients (which is not
handled by FTPAPI in any way).

I'd like to hear rationales and use cases for multiple sessions (so far,
 I have only heard about people having too few sessions; the very same
who never close a session). I do not want to hear any evangelism. Fear
not, I do not plan to remove support for multiple sessions (actually, I
am more concerned about making them thread safe, if they aren't
already), unless there is an unanimous vote for that. Just want to
understand the need better.

Regards,
Christian