Re: Responding to an HTTP post

Thanks for the information on eXpat Scott (sounds better than the XML4PRnn API!! for us poor folk still on V5R3), and, once again, keep up the good work!
Mark Humpage
Email: Mark.Humpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: ++64 3 353 8700 Ext: 8761
Mobile: ++64 27 454 5167

Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: owner-ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

27/03/2006 12:26

Please respond to
ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: Responding to an HTTP post

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mark,

> My task is to interface with incoming HTTP posts containing XML messages.
> I'm using an apache server instance to hand the post off to a program and
> read in the input stream (using CGIDEV2 BTW) I then parse the XML and send
> a response. From what I can tell (and I've only just started
> looking)HTTPAPI is more about initiating HTTP requests than handling them,

Absolutely correct.

> but I was wondering whether HTTPAPI might help me a) with the XML parsing
> (using the expat tools)

I have Expat (by itself) available for download on my Web site at the
following link:
http://www.scottklement.com/expat/

If you go there, you'll also find links to 4 articles I wrote about using
Expat from ILE RPG.  I'm also working on a wrapper for XML handling that
will be easier and more powerful than the one in HTTPAPI, and it'll
eventually (when I get time to complete and test it) also be posted to my
page about Expat.

> and b) send back a given http response code (200,400,500 etc). ?

The iSeries HTTP server should take care of that for you.  You don't need
to code that yourself.

> I may also have to post http requests back the other way which is why I
> started looking at HTTPAPI in the first place..

Yep, that's what HTTPAPI is for.