Re: Responding to an HTTP post

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Mark,

My task is to interface with incoming HTTP posts containing XML messages.
I'm using an apache server instance to hand the post off to a program and
read in the input stream (using CGIDEV2 BTW) I then parse the XML and send
a response. From what I can tell (and I've only just started
looking)HTTPAPI is more about initiating HTTP requests than handling them,

Absolutely correct.

but I was wondering whether HTTPAPI might help me a) with the XML parsing
(using the expat tools)

I have Expat (by itself) available for download on my Web site at the following link:
http://www.scottklement.com/expat/

If you go there, you'll also find links to 4 articles I wrote about using Expat from ILE RPG. I'm also working on a wrapper for XML handling that will be easier and more powerful than the one in HTTPAPI, and it'll eventually (when I get time to complete and test it) also be posted to my page about Expat.

and b) send back a given http response code (200,400,500 etc). ?

The iSeries HTTP server should take care of that for you. You don't need to code that yourself.

I may also have to post http requests back the other way which is why I
started looking at HTTPAPI in the first place..

Yep, that's what HTTPAPI is for.