RE: http_url_post_xml problem

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am only aware of two ways that we have setup for sending email from an
RPG program, through the web service that I mentioned and an older RPG
program that has an even more restricted message body length of 256
characters. Any suggestions to web sites with more options or better
ways to do this?

I have several ideas:

a) You can use the SNDDST command with TYPE(*LMSG), it'll allow up to 5000 characters.

b) You can use the QtmmSendMail API to send E-mail. There's no practical limit to the size of the message. (Technically, I think there's a limit of 2TB, but I can't imagine that you'd need anything this large.) Lots of people have written about this, both articles and forums messages. Here's a Google search that'll help you find them: http://www.google.com/search?q=QtmmSendMail

c) You can use the sockets API to talk directly to an SMTP server. This eliminates basically all restrictions on what you can do... Pretty much anything can be done this way! But, it requires more knowledge.

I used this as an example when I was teaching TCP/IP programming in my newsletter.
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=51701
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=51720

Now if you don't want to program directly to an API because you think it's too complicated (and I don't entirely blame you!) then you might try downloading one of the free utilities on the Web for sending e-mail:

a) Dave Leland's SNDEMAIL. I don't particularly like the way it's written, but a lot of people like this utility:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/article.cfm?id=2806

b) Uzaemon's SNDM utility:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/uzaemon/

c) MMAIL (Mime & Mail) is a free, deluxe utility written by Giovanni Perotti when he worked for IBM. It's still available as an open source tool from Giovanni's site:
http://www.easy400.net

There are other alternatives as well. That's just what came to me off the top of my head.

When I increase the size of the message fields rc returns 500 in the
program.

500 means that the server is reporting an error. Obviously, if the server has an error, it's not because of HTTPAPI's limitations. More likely, you're sending data that's not properly escaped to be part of an XML message.

Make sure that you change any < and > characters to be &lt; and &gt;. Make sure you change any & characters to be &amp; Otherwise, the server will try to interpret them as XML tags or entities and that'll be nothing but trouble.

But, personally, I wouldn't use a web service for this unless it's absolutely necessary to bypass some firewall or network restriction.