HTTP server v. user written socket server

Sender: Brian Doherty <brdo01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Scott etc,

I’m not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes …

I have been working with the httpapi, cgidev2 and socket tutorial on and
off for a week or two in order to help me find the best approach to
delivering an application that I need to write.

I need to respond to http POST requests to provide some information, (and
sometimes send some http POST requests to receive information). This will
be application to application over a VPN. The data content of the POST is
bespoke unfortunately, but fairly easy for me to parse/build.

We don’t use the HTTP server on our iSeries at all at the moment, other
than for me to test out the cgidev2 stuff!
I'm pretty ignorant of how the http server works. My only experience of it
is using CGIDEV2 recently. We are on OS/400 V5R3M0.

The way I see it is I have two ways to process received requests.

1.      Use the HTTP server on the iSeries and a cgi application that uses
the httpapi to process the request and send the response.
2.      Write my own socket server program and use the httpapi to process
the request and send the response.

I need the process to be as fast as possible.

My hunch is that option 1 will be easier to implement. I won’t have to
write the socket server, although I have created one from Scott’s socket
example SVREX7L/I as part of my investigation.

Option 2 might be more efficient if I keep the server instances active. I
suppose this depends on whether the client connection stays active.

Does anybody have any thoughts on the relative merits of using HTTP server
or a user written socket server?

Thanks

Brian Doherty