From: owner-ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Scott Klement
Sent: Tue 2/21/2006 3:39 PM
To: ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Cookie Testers Wanted!

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Heh.. don't get your hopes up, I didn't bake anything!

Instead, I'm referring to HTTPAPI's support for HTTP cookies. Small pieces
of data that the server can send to the client -- the client stores them,
and sends them back at the appropriate time. The idea is that the server
can store little pieces of data on the client, allowing it to "remember"
values from call to call.

I've written cookie support and added it to my own copy of the HTTPAPI
source. I'd like people to test it out and check the following things:

a) Code compiles and works at all releases from V4R4 -> V5R3.

b) Both version 0 and version 1 cookies are handled properly.

c) HTTPAPI properly filters the cookies it sends back according to the
     following criteria: the Secure flag, the Domain and the Path.

d) Cookies expire at the appropriate time.

I've put a new copy of HTTPAPI (1.14pre1) on my Web site at the following
links:

SAVF: http://www.scottklement.com/httpapi/1.14pre1/httpapi.savf
XML:  http://www.scottklement.com/httpapi/1.14pre1/httpapi.xml
ZIP:  http://www.scottklement.com/httpapi/1.14pre1/httpapi.zip

To test cookie support you must:

a) call http_use_cookies(*ON) to turn the cookie support on.  (I'm
planning to default it to on, but not until it's been tested better)

b) call http_cookie_file() to supply an IFS file where the cookies will be
stored.  This is ONLY necessary if you want them saved between sessions.
For example, if you load HTTPAPI and use it a bunch of times in the same
actgrp of the same job, you don't need to save the cookies to a file.  If,
on the other hand, you want cookies to persist across
signoff/endjob/rclactgrp calls, then you need to specify a filename and
it'll save the cookies into that file.

(Note: Frequently the server will mark cookies as "temporary" and if it
does that, they'll never be saved to the cookies file.)

If anyone has any thoughts about how to test this better, please do let me
know. Also please report any bugs to the list.

Ian & Griz have offered to help test the cookie support -- but anyone else
who is interested is welcome to test it as well.

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com