Re: Encoding in XML

Sender: llandreth@xxxxxxxxx

Aha!  Turns out, this was a requirement of SQL Server.  The first vendor
changed the single quote to a double quote.

Linda Landreth
Park University Enterprises, Inc.
9757 Metcalf Avenue
Overland Park, KS  66212
llandreth@xxxxxxxxx
(913) 967 - 8321 direct

                      Scott Klement
                      <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       llandreth@xxxxxxxxx
                      com>                     cc:       ftpapi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Encoding in XML
                      owner-ftpapi@xxxx
                      e.ods.net

                      02/21/2006 02:04
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ftpapi

Sender: Scott Klement <sk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> 1.  I do not understand the question.

XML documents aren't normally in EBCDIC. Somehow you're converting the
string containing the word "CABELA'S" to either ASCII or Unicode.  I was
under the impression that it was ISO 8859-1 ASCII, since you referenced
that encoding in a previous message -- but now I'm not so sure.

My question was, what's the code point of the apostrophe character (the
punctuation symbol immediately before the S in CABELA'S) after it has been
converted?

By "code point" I mean the "hex value" of the character.  If you're truly
converting to ISO 8859-1, then I'd expect it to be x'27', but based on the
way you've described your problem, I suspect it's not.

> 2.  The ISO-8859-1 is in the response back.

Okay, then which encoding are you sending the CABELA'S string in?

> 3.  The encoding in the XML document is :
>      <?xml version="1.0"?>
>      <Orders xml:lang="en-US">

This doesn't specify an encoding.

> using, the encode subprocedure in CGIDEV2

The encode() procedure of CGIDEV2 will convert characters like & to &amp;.
That's a useful function, and you're right, you need to do that.  (I'd
have used encode2(), however.)

However, this is a case where the word "encoding" is, perhaps, not
specific enough.  Yes, you need to encode your ampersands, quotes, less
than signs, etc... but that wasn't what I was referring to.

I'm referring to the character encoding. A synonmym of the terms
"codepage" and "CCSID".  Except, instead of using an IBM-specific number,
you use words like "UTF-8" or "ISO-8859-1" or "US-ASCII".

Hopefully that makes more sense.